This creamy mushroom gnocchi is a mouth-watering meal that will surprise your taste buds! Made with tender, pillowy gnocchi and a rich, velvety mushroom sauce, this is comfort food at its best. And the best part? It's 100% plant-based and dairy-free!
Creamy mushroom gnocchi is a comforting dish that's so cozy and rich you'll have a hard time believing it was plant-based.
It's also super easy to make with your favorite mix of fresh mushrooms and shop-bought plant-based gnocchi.
You can use gluten-free or cauliflower gnocchi, too or add some extra veggies and greens for a more nutritious meal.
Why you'll love this creamy mushroom gnocchi recipe
- Super creamy yet 100% plant-based and dairy-free
- A mouth-watering combination of flavors
- Super easy to make and perfect to pair with a glass of dry white wine!
Ingredients and substitutions
Plant-based butter — I used the plant-based butter from Flora in this recipe. You can substitute it with olive oil, but the sauce won't be as creamy.
Shallot — The mellow flavor of shallots is perfect in this mushroom sauce. You can also use regular onions or leeks.
Garlic — Fresh garlic has the best flavor but use pre-minced garlic if that's what you have on hand.
Fresh mushroom mix — I used a mix of crimini (chestnut) mushrooms and shiitake for extra flavor.
Other options include button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and portobello mushrooms. You can also add some rehydrated porcini mushrooms too for extra flavor.
Dry white wine — Any dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, is great in this mushroom sauce. If you prefer not to cook with alcohol, you can substitute it with the same amount of vegetable stock.
Fresh thyme — Mushrooms and fresh thyme are a winning combination, but you can also add some rosemary, oregano or marjoram.
Plant-based cream — I used the plant-based cream from The Coconut Collaborative. Use your favorite, or make the sauce with coconut cream instead.
Plant-based Parmesan — The plant-based Parmesan from Violife has an excellent texture and is similar in taste to traditional Parmesan cheese.
Gnocchi — Make sure you use plant-based gnocchi in this recipe. The gnocchi from Difatti and the ones from Biona are both vegan.
How to make vegan mushroom gnocchi
In a large pan, melt the plant-based butter over medium heat.
Add the diced shallot and finely chopped garlic to the pan, and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, and sauté until they release their liquid and become tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Pour in the dry white wine and cook for 1-2 minutes until the alcohol evaporates, then stir in the fresh thyme.
Pour in the vegetable stock and plant-based cream, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add the plant-based Parmesan to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
Season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
In a separate pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to the package directions.
Drain the gnocchi and add them to the pan with the sauce, then toss to coat.
Serve the creamy mushroom gnocchi hot, garnished with fresh thyme if you like.
Leftovers and storage
- If you have any leftovers, allow the gnocchi to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, transfer the gnocchi to a pan over medium heat and stir in a little vegetable stock or cream to loosen up the sauce. Heat until the gnocchi is warm throughout.
- I don't recommend freezing this dish.
Recipe notes and tips
- Serve this creamy mushroom gnocchi with a green salad or a side of crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
- You can add vegetables such as spinach, kale or broccoli to make it more nutritious.
- Give the sauce a bit of a kick by adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools down.
If you liked this creamy mushroom gnocchi recipe, you might also like some of my other easy vegan recipes with mushrooms:
- Creamy Oyster Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Mushroom Masala Curry
- Instant Pot Mushroom Rice Soup
- Vegan Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Vegan Gnocchi Ragu with Mushrooms and Lentils
Don't miss out on any new recipes! Follow Vegan Cocotte on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply