This rich vegan cashew cream goes well with just about anything! It's a great dairy-free alternative to cream, and it's perfect for everything from pasta sauces to adding a bit of creaminess to curries and soups.
Cashew cream is a fantastic all-purpose dairy-free cream sauce. It's great in salads and Buddha bowls, as a pasta sauce or sandwich spread, and in curries and soups.
This vegan cashew sauce is so creamy and rich that it's quite hard to believe it's completely vegan and dairy-free.
I like to use this vegan cashew cream as a sort of alfredo vegan sauce in recipes like this vegan pasta primavera, but the flavour really goes with anything.
This is basically the perfect vegan cream to use whenever you see a recipe that calls for a plant-based cream alternative. It's also perfect for veganizing all those recipes that call for dairy cream.
Why you'll love this vegan cashew cream sauce
- It's easy to make. You only need a handful of ingredients to make this vegan cashew pasta sauce. Making it is just a matter of placing all ingredients in a food processor and pressing a button.
- It keeps well in the fridge. This creamy cashew pasta sauce keeps well in the fridge for up to 7 days so you can always have some on hand to make all your favourite creamy recipes.
- You can easily make it your own. Add some sriracha to make this cashew cream spicy, some oregano and rosemary for an Italian taste or cilantro and lime for a Mexican vibe. The possibilities are endless!
Ingredients and substitutions
Cashews — Soaking the cashews overnight is essential for a creamy sauce, but there are ways around this if you haven't planned ahead.
Water — Use vegetable stock instead of water for extra flavour. Feel free to play with the water ratio to reach the perfect consistency. The recipe, as written, makes a thick, rich cream.
Olive oil — This is optional and you can skip it if you want an oil-free cashews cream.
Lemon juice — Lemon juice is also optional, and you can add more or less, depending on what kind of recipe you intend to use the sauce with.
Garlic — Add more or less garlic as needed.
Salt — Feel free to adjust the salt to your taste. I recommend adding just half a teaspoon with the rest of the ingredients and then adjusting the seasoning at the end.
Some other ingredients you can add to this vegan cashew cream include:
- Chilli paste
- Nutritional yeast
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Lime juice
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Fresh basil
How to make vegan cashew cream
Add the water, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove and salt.
Blend on high speed for 4-5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Adjust the seasoning and use the cashew cream immediately or store it for up to 7 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Leftovers and storage
- Store the cashew cream in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- You can freeze cashew cream for up to 3 months in a freezer-friendly container. Allow it to thaw completely in the fridge before using.
- Use plant-based milk instead of water for an even creamier result.
Recipe notes and tips
- You need to use raw cashews for this cream. It won't work with roasted cashews.
- Make a completely neutral version of this cashew cream using just cashews and water. That would be the closest alternative to heavy cream.
- A teaspoon of nutritional yeast will add a cheesy flavour to this cashew cream.
If you liked this vegan cashew cream, here are some recipes you could try with it:
- Vegan Instant Pot Creamy Pasta
- Vegan Saffron Pasta with Lemon
- Spicy Miso Pasta
- Vegan Creamy Pasta e Fagioli
- Creamy Vegan Lemon and Basil Pasta