Vegan mushroom masala curry is an easy, one-pot dish that packs in a lot of flavour. Ready in under half an hour, this mushroom curry pairs perfectly with rice, naan or roti for a fuss-free weeknight meal.
Mushroom masala is a comforting, hearty curry that's just the dream recipe for anyone who loves all things mushroom.
It's also a recipe that's super easy to make, which means you can have a delicious curry on the table in half an hour.
I like to serve this quick mushroom curry over basmati rice, but it's also great with cauliflower rice or just with some naan bread to soak up that delicious sauce.
What I like most about this easy mushroom masala curry is that you don't need to blend anything to make a delicious sauce - it's all done in one pot and the result is utterly delicious.
Ingredients and substitutions
Oil and plant-based butter - I use a mix of oil and plant-based butter because this combination infuses the mushrooms with a buttery taste. You can use just oil or butter if you want. Alternatively, if you don't cook with oil, saute the mushrooms in some veggie stock instead.
Onion - Make sure you saute the onions well. It might take up to 5 minutes for them to become soft over medium heat.
Bell peppers - Use any colour you want for the bell peppers - I typically go with a green or red bell pepper for this curry.
Garlic and ginger -Fresh garlic and ginger are always best in curries. If you don't have them at hand, you can use frozen or the stuff that comes in a jar, but the flavour won't be quite the same.
Red chilli - This adds a bit of a kick to the curry, but if you want the sauce to be on the milder side, you can skip it or use just a bit.
Mushrooms - Chestnut mushrooms are perfect for this mushroom masala curry. They have better texture and flavour than plain white mushrooms. You can also use a mix of wild mushrooms if you like.
Chopped tomatoes - Use the best quality chopped tomatoes you can because it really makes a difference.
How do you make this mushroom masala curry?
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan and melt the plant-based butter in it. Saute the onion and peppers for 4-5 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger and red chilli and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant. Next, add the mushrooms and saute for 5-6 minutes until they reduce in size and there's little to no liquid left.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve over rice or with naan bread.
Recipe notes and tips
- This mushroom masala curry pairs great with freshly steamed basmati rice and naan bread.
- If you want a low-carb option, you can serve it over cauliflower rice instead.
- You can add one or two tablespoons of tomato paste if you want the sauce to have a more pronounced tomato taste.
If you liked this vegan mushroom masala curry, you might also like some of my other easy vegan curry recipes:
- Aubergine and Chickpea Curry
- Thai Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Vegan Thai Peanut Curry
- Vegan Chickpea and Lentil Curry
- Vegan Madras Curry with Crispy Tofu