This fava bean chickpea salad is packed with protein and makes the perfect lunch or snack. It only takes 10 minutes to whip it up, and it's great for meal prep, too!
Chickpeas are just the best, aren't they? They have plenty of fibre and protein and are simply a vegan's best friend.
But chickpeas combined with beans is where the fun begins 😊 Case in point, this fava bean chickpea salad!
This vegan chickpea salad is the kind of lunch that will keep you full for hours. It has loads of protein (15 grams per serving) and fibre (12 grams per serving), and it's incredibly satisfying.
It's an incredible salad to eat on its own or stuffed in some warm pitta bread. This fava bean and chickpea salad is also highly versatile, and you can easily make it your own.
Why you'll love this fava bean chickpea salad
- It's ready in just 10 minutes. All you have to do is make a very simple yet delicious dressing, open a can of chickpeas and a can of beans and chop some veggies. That's a nutritious lunch sorted right there.
- It's the perfect lunch or snack after hitting the gym. The amount of protein in this broad bean and chickpea salad is great for building muscles.
- You can easily make it your own. Whether you want to add extra veggies or make it spicy, there are so many ways to customize this chickpea salad recipe!
Ingredients and substitutions
Olive oil — A quality extra virgin olive oil is essential for making the lemon vinaigrette that makes this chickpea salad incredibly flavourful.
Lemon juice — Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds so much brightness to this salad. Alternatively, you can use balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar.
Garlic — Use as much freshly minced garlic in this vegan chickpea salad.
Chickpeas — Canned chickpeas are perfect in this salad because they're extra convenient. regular or black chickpeas are both great choices. You can definitely make it with dried chickpeas that you've cooked from scratch.
Fava beans — Also known as broad beans, fava beans are loaded with minerals, vitamins, protein and fibre. You can substitute them with lima beans or just use any other type of canned beans you may have in the pantry.
Bell pepper — Any colour would work here — I went for red to add a touch of vibrancy to the salad.
Red onion — To get rid of the pungent smell of fresh onion, place the sliced red onion in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, then drain and add it to the salad. Alternatively, use spring onions or shallots.
Fresh parsley — I love freshly chopped parsley in this salad, but you can use your favourite fresh herbs — dill, mint and basil are all great options.
How to make vegan chickpea salad
In a larger bowl, add the chickpeas, fava beans, bell pepper, onion and parsley. Stir in the dressing and toss to combine.
Season to taste and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Recipe notes and tips for fava bean chickpea salad
- This fava bean chickpea salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. It's a delicious cold lunch and tastes even better the next days because the flavours have more time to develop.
- Serve this chickpea salad with pitta bread, pitta chips, nachos or even as a sandwich filling.
- Other things you can add to this salad include cucumbers, capers, olives, zucchini and cherry tomatoes.
- Make the chickpea salad spicy by adding ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes to the dressing.
If you liked this fava bean chickpea salad, you might also like some of my other easy vegan lunch recipes:
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Pasta with Kale
- Prasorizo (Greek Leeks with Rice)
- Vegan Lemon Orzo
- Easy Vegan Garlic Noodles
- Creamy Vegan Tahini Pasta