This nourishing vegan chickpea noodle soup is packed full of vitamins and protein for the best comfort food for those days you're feeling under the weather. Besides being delicious, this one-pot vegan chickpea soup is also super easy to make in just 30 minutes!
There's nothing quite like a hot bowl of soup to make you feel better when you're not feeling well or simply when you're simply craving some familiar comfort food.
This vegan chickpea noodle soup is comforting and filling, thanks to a perfect mix of carbs and protein. It has some pretty amazing flavours and will have you feeling better in no time.
Think of it as a chickpea "chicken" noodle soup — the plant-based version of the chicken soup you grew up with.
Even though it's called "chickpea noodle soup", this soup is made with short pasta such as fusilli or rotini. You can make it more like a "noodle" soup by using spaghetti or linguine instead.
Why you'll love this vegan chickpea noodle soup
- It's super quick and easy. This chickpea noodle soup recipe couldn't be easier to make. Everything comes together in one pot for minimal clean-up.
- The ingredient list is short. You may already have all the ingredients in the house, so you can make a delicious batch of chickpea noodle soup without having to go to the shops.
- The flavours are subtle and comforting. I use an Italian herbs mix to enhance the flavours of the veggies — the result is a delicious broth!
Ingredients and substitutions
Onion, carrot and celery — These form the flavour base of the soup and you can cut them as small as you like.
Garlic — Freshly chopped garlic is best for this recipe, but if you don't have any on hand, you can use frozen garlic.
Italian herbs — I use a teaspoon of Italian herbs mix for this soup. You can also use a mix of dried oregano and basil instead.
Vegetable stock — Both homemade and store-bought vegetable stock works just fine for this chickpea noodle soup.
Chickpeas — Canned chickpeas replace the chicken protein in this recipe. I use just one 400 g (14 oz) can because that's how I like the chickpea to pasta ratio, but feel free to add more.
Pasta — You can use any type of pasta in this soup. Rotini, fussili, ditalini and shells are all great choices. The pasta goes straight to the pot so you don't have to cook it beforehand.
How to make chickpea noodle soup
Add the garlic and Italian herbs and cook for another minute until fragrant.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the chickpeas and pasta and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
Stir in the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve with your favourite crusty bread.
Leftovers and storage
- This chickpea noodle soup will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat leftovers on the stovetop over medium heat. The pasta will continue to absorb the liquid, so you'll have to add some vegetable stock when reheating.
- Chickpea soup is a freezer-friendly recipe. Allow it to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe notes and tips
- Feel free to adjust the liquid amount for this soup to suit your taste.
- The soup is hearty enough on its own, but you can also serve it with your favourite crispy bread.
- Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste with the herbs if you want a tomato-based broth.
- You can use white beans instead of chickpeas in this soup.
If you liked this vegan chickpea noodle soup, you might also like some of my other easy vegan soup recipes:
- Vegan Avgolemono Soup (Greek Lemon Orzo Soup)
- Creamy Oyster Mushroom Soup
- Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- Easy Pinto Bean Soup
- Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup