This vegan enchilada soup is a veritable fiesta of flavours! Made with loads of veggies, two types of beans, sweetcorn and diced tomatoes, the soup is comforting, satisfying and just perfect for a chilly day.
Vegan enchilada soup is filling, nutritious and super comforting. It's one of those soups I like to make when I'm in the mood for something super flavourful that goes well with crunchy taco chips.
This enchilada soup recipe is loaded with beans for extra protein, but it also boasts loads of veggies and warming spices.
You can easily customize this veggie enchilada soup by adding extra vegetables and serve it with your favourite Mexican toppings, like avocado or vegan sour cream, for example.
Why you'll love this vegan enchilada soup
- It's the perfect weeknight meal. This vegan enchilada soup is ideal for those weeknights when you're pressed for time but yet want a filling and nutritious supper.
- It only takes about 40 minutes to make. Making this soup is a breeze once you have all your veggies chopped.
- It's made with simple ingredients. This soup is made with a handful of pantry staples that you're likely to already have on hand without having to go to the store.
Ingredients and substitutions
Avocado oil — Sauteing the onion and bell peppers in avocado oil for a couple of minutes creates the perfect flavor base for this taco soup.
Red onion — If you don't have any red onion, you can sub with regular onion or shallots.
Bell peppers — Any color combination of bell peppers works in this recipe.
Green chilli (jalapeño) — This gives the soup a little kick, but you may leave it out if you want a milder soup.
Garlic — I use two large garlic cloves for flavor depth, but you can adjust the amount to your preference.
Spices — I combine medium chilli powder, ground cumin, and dried oregano for this soup. To save time, you can substitute a pack of shop-bought fajita mix.
Red enchilada sauce — Use your favourite enchilada cooking sauce in this soup. I used the Potts Enchilada Cooking Sauce.
Beans — I used a mix of black beans and pinto beans in this soup, but you can use red kidney beans, black eyed beans, or haricot beans. Use any type of beans you have on hand or a combination for extra flavour.
Sweetcorn — You can use fresh, frozen or canned sweetcorn in this recipe.
Chopped tomatoes — You can add a teaspoon of sugar to this soup to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
Vegetable stock — You can make this veggie enchilada soup with homemade vegetable stock or store-bought veggie stock.
How to make veggie enchilada soup
Heat the avocado oil in a stockpot or a Dutch oven and add the red onion, bell pepper and green chilli. Cook for 7-8 minutes over medium heat until the veggies are soft.
Stir in the garlic, ground cumin, chilli powder and dried oregano and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
Next, add the red enchilada sauce, beans, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice, season to taste and serve with toast, crusty bread or nacho chips.
Leftovers and storage
- This enchilada soup keeps well in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. You can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- The soup freezes well. Make sure you let it cool completely before putting it in freezer-safe containers or bags and freezing it for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it on the stove or in the microwave.
Recipe notes and tips
- Add 100 g (½ cup) vegan cream cheese or cashew cream at the end to make this soup creamy.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans and corn to keep the soup from being excessively salty.
- This is a soup that goes great with some extra toppings, so serve it with sliced avocado, salsa, or a dollop of vegan sour cream.
If you liked this vegan enchilada soup, you might also like some of my other easy vegan soup recipes:
- Vegan lasagna soup
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup with Chickpeas
- Vegan Avgolemono Soup (Greek Lemon Orzo Soup)
- Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- Creamy Vegan Chickpea Soup with Garlic and Herbs
Don't miss out on any new recipes! Follow Vegan Cocotte on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply