This chili garlic pasta is a super simple yet incredibly satisfying pasta dish that you can have on the table in just 15 minutes. Even though you only need five ingredients to make it, the comfort factor is wow!
This chili garlic pasta is a deliciously simple twist on the classic Italian aglio e olio, a dish known for its minimal ingredients and maximum flavor.
With just a few pantry staples, you can whip up this garlic and chili pasta in no time, making it the perfect fuss-free weeknight meal.
Imagine twirling a forkful of perfectly cooked spaghetti coated in a fragrant, slightly spicy olive oil sauce with a hint of garlic and a touch of heat from red chili flakes. It's no wonder this chili oil pasta has become a favorite for busy home cooks!
Besides being incredibly easy to make, this chili garlic spaghetti is also customizable, allowing you to adjust the heat and garlic levels to suit your taste.
Why you'll love this chili garlic pasta
- Quick and easy to make — With just a handful of ingredients and minimal prep time, this dish is perfect for those busy weeknights when you're craving something comforting.
- Bold flavors — The combination of garlic and chili in this pasta dish creates a bold, savory taste that's hard to resist.
- Affordable and pantry-friendly — Chili garlic pasta is not only delicious but also budget-friendly as it's made with pantry staples.
Ingredients and substitutions
Spaghetti — I used spaghetti for this chili garlic pasta, but you can use any long pasta you have on hand or prefer, such as linguine or fettuccine.
Garlic — Freshly chopped garlic is essential for this pasta dish. Adjust the amount of garlic to your taste, using more or less as desired.
Red chili flakes — Half a teaspoon of red chili flakes adds a hint of heat to the pasta. You can increase or decrease the amount based on your preferred spice level.
Alternatively, you can use a finely chopped fresh red or green chili pepper (or a mix of colors). Fresh parsley — This adds a touch of freshness and color to the dish. You can also use fresh basil or a combination of both.
How to make garlic and chili pasta
Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water before draining the pasta.
In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over low heat. Add the sliced garlic and red chili flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes or until softened and fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet and toss to coat the pasta in the chili garlic oil.
If the pasta seems dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water to help create a glossy sauce that clings to the spaghetti.
Season the pasta with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Stir in the chopped fresh parsley and toss until well combined.
Serve the chili garlic pasta immediately, garnished with additional parsley if you like.
Recipe notes and tips
- To add extra flavor and texture, you can toast some breadcrumbs in a separate pan with a little olive oil and sprinkle them over the pasta before serving.
- If you like a little extra heat, try using a combination of red chili flakes and finely chopped fresh red chili pepper.
- For a more filling dish, you can some sautéed mushrooms or crispy tofu to the pasta.
- This pasta dish is best served immediately, and I don't recommend reheating it.
If you liked this chili garlic pasta, you might also like some of my other easy vegan pasta recipes:
- Coconut Milk Pasta Sauce
- Vegan French Onion Pasta
- Vegan Leek and Mushroom Pasta
- Sriracha Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Rasta Pasta