This easy sweet potato chili is hearty, flavourful and loaded with protein. It's a naturally vegan chili that's also low-fat and quick to make on a busy weeknight.
If you love sweet potatoes and warming flavours, this vegan sweet potato chili should be right up your alley.
Besides being extra nutritious from the mix of sweet potatoes and beans, this sweet potato veggie chili is also incredibly tasty.
It's just the perfect one-pot meal to try on a busy weeknight because it requires very little hands-on time.
Serve this vegan sweet potato chili with your favourite tortilla chips or cornbread.
Leftovers taste even better, so you can make a double batch and have the next couple of lunches sorted.
Why you'll love this sweet potato chili
- It has warming flavours. The mix of red chili powder, ground cumin, cinnamon and cocoa powder infuses this vegan sweet potato chili with amazingly warming flavours.
- It's a one-pot recipe. If you're not a fan of washing up, this sweet potato chili recipe is for you — it's all cooked in one pot.
- It's a versatile recipe. You can easily mix it up when it comes to the veggies and beans to make this chili your own.
Ingredients and substitutions
Onion — Any kind of onion works in this chilli. I used brown onions, but red onions are perfect too.
Bell peppers — I like to use various bell pepper colours in this chili, but you can use any colour you want.
Sweet potatoes — Cut the sweet potato into ½ inch cubes so they cook quickly and evenly.
Beans — A mix of black beans and cannellini adds some variety to this chili, but you can use any kind of beans you want.
Cocoa powder — adding some dark cocoa powder to this chili makes it taste richer because it boosts the other flavours.
How to make vegan sweet potato chili
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Don't forget to stir from time to time.
Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread, topped with freshly chopped coriander and lime wedges, if you like.
Leftovers and storage
- This black bean sweet potato chili will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- You can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. If reheating on the stovetop, you may need to add a bit of water or veggie stock.
- The chili is also perfect for freezing. Use freezer-safe containers or Ziploc bags for individual portions. The chili can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- This sweet potato black bean chili tastes even better the next day because the flavours have more time to develop. Leftovers make an excellent lunch!
- You can use dried beans for this chili, but you'll need to soak them overnight and then pre-cook them for about 30 minutes or until tender before adding them to the chili.
- If you'd like this veggie chili to be very hot, don't deseed the green chili and/or use a hot red chili powder.
If you liked this easy sweet potato chili, you might also like some of my other one-pot vegan recipes:
- One-Pot Vegan Jambalaya
- Easy One-Pot Vegan Chili Mac
- Vegan Spanish Chickpeas and Rice
- Vegan Chickpea Chili
- Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup