This Instant Pot basmati rice is the perfect method to get your rice cooked to perfection every time. The result is a perfectly tender and fluffy rice that you can have ready in just 15 minutes to serve with all your favourite vegan curries!
Being vegan is often about side dishes — I often find myself wondering what to serve with an Indian or Thai curry and end up using a boil-in-the-bag kind of rice for lack of time.
But it really doesn't have to be that way. If you have an Instant Pot, you don't have to worry about not having time to make a quick rice side dish from scratch.
This Instant Pot Basmati rice recipe is truly foolproof — all you have to do is add the ingredients to the pressure cooker, set it to 5 minutes on high pressure, fluff it up and serve. It's that easy!
Why you'll love this Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- It only takes 15 minutes to make. You can start the rice in the Instant Pot while you're making your favourite curry and have it ready in just 15 minutes. This includes the time it takes for the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure.
- Perfectly cooked, fluffy rice every time. I've tinkered with the ingredient quantities and timing until I got to the perfect texture. You don't have to worry about the rice sticking or burning.
- It goes with everything! Whether you want to serve it with an Indian recipe like Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala or a Brazilian one such as this Coconut Curry with Chickpeas, this is the perfect way to cook rice.
Ingredients and substitutions
Vegetable oil — You don't necessarily need to add oil to the Instant Pot to cook basmati rice. However, using just water might make the rice a bit too sticky. Use a neutral oil like sunflower or avocado oil to make sure the grains remain separated.
Basmati rice — This cooking method is just perfect for basmati rice, which is a long-grain aromatic rice. You don't have to pre-soak the rice for this recipe — simply rinse it with cold water until the water runs clear.
Water — Use cold water for this recipe. As a rule of thumb, you need a 1:1 rice to water ratio for traditional cooking. However, that's not necessary in the Instant Pot. You need less water for perfectly cooked rice in a pressure cooker.
Salt — I recommend adding at least ½ teaspoon salt to this rice. Feel free to adjust the quantity to your liking.
How to make basmati rice in Instant Pot
Rinse the basmati rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Add the oil to the Instant Pot and place the rice, salt and water in it.
Lock the lid and set the vent in sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on High Pressure.
When the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release the rest manually by carefully turning the vent to "Venting".
Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork, then allow it to stand for a couple more minutes before serving.
Leftovers and storage
- This basmati rice will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- The rice also freezes well for up to 3 months. Store it in a freezer-friendly container or portion it into Ziploc bags.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop. You may need to add a dash of water to rehydrate the rice if it looks too dry.
Recipe notes and tips
- You can make this Instant Pot basmati rice yours by adding aromatics such as cumin seeds or cardamom pods.
- You can use jasmine rice instead of basmati as the cooking times are similar for both types of rice.
- This recipe was tested in a 6-quart Instant Pot Duo.
If you liked this Instant Pot basmati rice, you might also like some of my other easy vegan rice recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Easy Vegan Biryani
- Easy Jeera Rice (Cumin Rice)
- Easy Vegan Mexican Rice
- Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach and Rice)