This chickpea curry soup is a delicious and super comforting one-pot meal that will warm your body and soul on a chilly day. Packed with protein-rich chickpeas, nutritious veggies and warming spices, this soup is simply brimming with flavor!
There’s nothing I love more than a cozy bowl of soup, and this chickpea curry soup is about to be your new go-to soup recipe.
Picture this: protein-packed chickpeas, sweet potatoes, and earthy spices create a dish that's both nutritious and satisfying.
It's not just soup; it's a comforting embrace in a bowl, perfect for those nights when you need a little extra warmth.
Why you’ll love this chickpea curry soup
- It’s incredibly versatile — This is a soup that gracefully accommodates whatever you have on hand. No sweet potatoes? Throw in some butternut squash. Not a fan of kale? Spinach to the rescue!
- An explosion of flavors — It’s like a flavor party in every bite!
- Health goals, check! This soup's packed with superfoods - sweet potatoes, chickpeas, kale. Delicious and so good for you.
Ingredients and substitutions
Coconut oil — Great for its subtle sweetness and heat stability. Olive oil or vegetable oil are fine substitutes.
Veggies — I used a mix of onion, carrot and red bell pepper as a flavor base. Feel free to add celery for extra flavor.
Garlic +fresh ginger — Fresh is best for the most vibrant flavor.
You can also switch it up if you like and use a mix of turmeric, coriander, and a dash of cayenne instead. Your favorite curry paste is also a good candidate.
Sweet potatoes — Cut the sweet potatoes in even sizes for uniform cooking. Smaller cubes cook faster and blend nicely with the chickpeas.
Vegetable stock — Homemade stock is like liquid gold for flavor, but let's keep it real - sometimes we need shortcuts. Store-bought veggie broth works great, too.
Coconut milk — Creaminess and a whisper of sweetness - that's what coconut milk is all about, and it works so well in this vegan curry soup. Add in some coconut cream for a soup that's even more velvety.
Black kale — This leafy green adds texture and a rustic touch. Spinach or Swiss chard are great options if kale's not your thing.
Finishing touches —Lime juice adds a fresh zing; lemon juice can be a substitute. Fresh cilantro is great for garnish, but if you're not a fan, parsley or even a sprinkle of green onions will work.
How to make coconut chickpea curry soup
In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrot, and red bell pepper. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
Stir in the minced garlic and ginger to the pot. Then, add the curry powder, ground cumin, paprika, and red chili flakes. Cook for another minute, stirring continuously, to release the flavors of the spices.
Next, add the shredded black kale. Stir well and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
Squeeze in the juice of half a lime and stir in the fresh coriander. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve the soup hot with some extra fresh chopped coriander on top if you like.
Leftovers and storage
- Cool the curried chickpea soup completely and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It'll stay fresh and tasty for up to 4 days.
- Warm it up in a saucepan over medium heat until it's heated through. If it's too thick, add a splash of water or vegetable stock.
- Freeze in freezer-safe containers or bags for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating. Just perfect for those busy days when you need a quick, delicious meal!
Recipe tips for the best coconut curry soup
- Lightly toast the chickpeas in a separate pan until slightly crispy before adding them to the soup for extra texture.
- Serve the chickpea curry soup with a side of naan bread or rice. It's also great topped with a dollop of plant-based yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- For a creamier texture, blend a portion of the soup and then mix it back in.
- This recipe is great for meal prep. Make a big batch and enjoy it throughout the week. The flavors even improve with time!
If you liked this chickpea curry soup, you might also like some of my other easy vegan soups:
- Vegan Golden Soup
- Italian Lentil Soup
- Vegan Tom Yum Soup
- Peanut Butter Soup
- Veggie Mulligatawny Soup